Institutional Sales Manager (Academic, US)
Overleaf is a mission-led organisation that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists, engineers, technical professionals and students — like Google Docs for Research. Our primary product is an online, real-time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
Overleaf has seen rapid adoption across science and research, and now supports a community of over 12 million users worldwide. This community includes major institutions such as Stanford and Caltech, with Overleaf becoming an integral part of research collaborations, graduate programmes, and undergraduate teaching.
Many international tech, finance and engineering companies use our enterprise solutions, and we work with several major publishers: for example, supporting collaboration on IEEE's member platform, and making the journal submission process smoother for LaTeX users across many academic publishers. Our vision is to be the go-to place for writing scientific and technical documents.
Overleaf was founded by two mathematicians who were inspired by their own experiences in academia to create a better solution for scientific collaboration and communication. Now we are a team of about 60 based mainly in the UK, Europe, the US and Canada. We were recently recognised as one of the UK's top 100 fastest growing businesses and as the Best SaaS for Nonprofits or Education in the 2020 SaaS Awards Program.
Overleaf are part of Digital Science. Digital Science are advancing the research ecosystem.
About Digital Science
We are Digital Science and we are advancing the research ecosystem.
We are a pioneering technology company, and our vision is of a future where a trusted and collaborative research ecosystem drives progress for all. We believe in better, open, collaborative and inclusive research. In creating the next generation of tools and working in partnership with the community we tackle some of the biggest challenges to research. In order to achieve our vision, we need innovative, inspiring and dynamic people to join our team. Want to join us?
Your new role
Overleaf is well-loved by its user base and community — a community which has rapidly grown to over 12 million users worldwide. We are looking to bring a talented, experienced individual into the organisation who will take responsibility for continuing and expanding Overleaf's B2B Institutional Sales, which include Higher Education institutions and institutional labs.
We are looking for an Academic Institutional Sales Manager to join our growing global team. The Academic Institutional Sales Manager role is a customer-facing position responsible for a range of institutional sales and lead generation activities for the Overleaf business.
You'll work to develop and implement your sales strategy, developing opportunities for growth through lead generation and management, and provide sales presentations & demonstrations to help close opportunities. Through your solutions-based conversations, you'll work closely with clients to develop your understanding of their needs and deliver proposals and contracts to address this. You'll also work closely with marketing to generate the necessary sales collateral for client meetings and presentations.
This is a remote, full-time role, based in the Central or Eastern time zone of the US, and we'd love to hear from candidates with a sales background ideally selling SaaS solutions in the academic and Higher Education market.
The compensation for this position is a $70,000 - $80,000 / year base with an additional $25k commission.
What you'll be doing
- Working with the Institutional Sales Director to help develop an institutional sales strategy for your assigned region to grow our footprint in the academic and Higher Education market
- Actively seeking out new sales opportunities & leads to grow the existing pipeline
- Following up & qualifying institutional leads (from website, events, lists, etc.)
- Providing sales presentations and demonstrations to close opportunities
- Developing and delivering proposals to negotiate the lead through to completion
- Preparing contracts and documentation for closure
- Keeping all records and CRM details updated
- Delivering sales updates to the commercial team
- Attending and reporting on a weekly basis during the weekly sales meeting
- Collaborating with internal teams to achieve results and provide customer feedback
- Attending conferences and events and delivering speaking sessions as needed
What you'll bring to the role
- A self-motivated individual, you display a high level of independent judgement and decision-making
- We'd love to hear from sales professionals ideally with experience with SaaS or solutions-based sales in the academic and Higher Education market
- You have a demonstrable sales history where you have met or exceeded performance targets
- You have a working knowledge of lead generation, pipeline management, and driving opportunities from prospect through to closure
- You have successfully built and managed complex customer relationships
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software is required, Salesforce preferred
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills and are able to communicate your message to a wide audience and ensure understanding
- You are curious and able to get to the core of what the customer wants, in order to deliver the right solution
- Whilst you like to be part of a team, you're self-motivated and thrive in an environment which is remote, agile and leads you to deliver client results
- You're a natural relationship builder and excel in building and growing relationships with both customers and colleagues through your integrity and approach
- You have excellent time management, organisational, and project management skills
- You are based in the US and are available full time, including during our core business hours which are 9am--12 noon EST
Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
- Joining a small, dedicated, and growing team, where you get to make an impact from day one
- We'll provide a new Mac or PC laptop, along with a stipend for other equipment
- We provide a training budget; many of our staff choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials
- We run a bi-weekly internal seminar series (show and tell) with short talks from staff about their work or personal projects, new technologies and techniques
Living our Values
We invest in, nurture and support innovative businesses and technologies that make all parts of the research process more open, efficient and effective.
The talent we secure is fundamental to us achieving our vision and our growth plans. The values we live by are:
- We are brave in the pursuit of better
- We are collaborative and inclusive
- We are always open-minded
- We are from and for the community
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Please note that we use Digital Science Pinpoint for managing our open roles; by clicking above you'll be taken to Pinpoint to apply.